Hypothermia Response Ministry
Since 2003, Fairfax Circle Church has partnered with other churches, Fairfax Country and the local non-profit FACETS to host Hypothermia Response. During a week in March, we shelter, feed and fellowship with over 50 homeless guests at our church. This ministry began in order to stem the tide of hypothermia deaths by the homeless population of Fairfax County. Throughout the years, it has helped placed hundreds of homeless families in permanent housing and giving the "least of these" a second chance.
Each year, hundreds of individuals living on the streets, in cars, and in abandoned buildings in Fairfax County/City search for shelter from the winter weather. Beginning each year in late November, FACETS works with 34 faith communities in the area to offer safe places to sleep and nutritious meals to homeless men and women through their Hypothermia Prevention and Response Program. This program is one of five operated across Fairfax and Falls Church in partnership with the Fairfax County government.
In operation since 2003, the program has evolved from solely offering a safe haven to also offering life-enhancing programs. Last year 244 guests were served in the Hypothermia Prevention and Response Program. Approximately half of these guests participated in case management services, leading to 10 individuals moving off the streets and into housing.
Fairfax Circle serves in this program in March. We transition our building into a one-week shelter providing guests with a place to sleep, three meals a day plus snacks, metro fare cards and other services. This ministry requires a large number of volunteers.
- 60% of Fairfax County homeless have full-time jobs
- 30% are families mainly due to domestic violence
- 25% are military veterans
- The majority of the homeless suffer from mental illness and drug addiction
Ways to Help
- Pray. Pray that God will move you to participate, volunteer, donate, and open your heart to those in need
- Give. Donate money to the church, donate clothing items for the guests, donate supplies from the list below.
- Volunteer. Give your time through volunteer opportunities.
- Help Lead. We are looking for more people to help lead the ministry. If you are interested please email us.
- Food Items
- Hot chocolate - single serving packages
- Chips - single serving bags
- Soft granola bars
- Trail mix
- Peanut butter crackers
- Cheese crackers
- Cookies - single serving packages
- Pudding cups - NOT sugar free
- Fruit cups
- Hygiene Items - ALL are needed but especially:
- Small bottles of Gold Bond powder
- Soft bristle toothbrushes
- Other Items
- White crew socks (unused)
- White t-shirts - variety of sizes
- Dress clothes for interviews (man and woman)
- underwear (unused)
- Schedule of Events