We’ll be collecting and delivering food to families in need during the month of July. Below are ways you can participate by making donations or volunteering.
Ways to Donate
- Financial Donations: Our biggest need is financial donations. With these funds our volunteer shoppers are able to purchase specific items that are needed as well as perishable foods such as fruits, vegetables and meats.To donate financial click here and under the “fund” pulldown menu select “COVID19-Food Drive”
- Gift card donations: When possible we prefer to allow families to be able to purchase their own food and supplies with gift cards. We’re collecting gift cards for H-Mart, Giant and Safeway grocery stores. To donate gift cards you can either drop them off on Tuesdays or Thursdays between 12pm-4pm or mail them to 3110 Chichester Lane, Fairfax 22031.
- Food Donations: If you prefer to donate non-perishable food we will have curbside, contactless drop-offs on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 12pm-4pm.Here is a list of need items:
- Dried red, black or pinto beans
- Vegetable oil
- Maseca or other corn flour
- Diapers and feminine hygiene products (maxi pads)
Ways to Volunteer
We want this to be sustainable since we don’t know how long the needs are going to last. In order to do that we need a large number of volunteers for the following roles. If you have questions or would like to volunteer for any of these roles please contact Kirsten Singer.
- Delivery Leads (Able to speak Spanish helpful) – Delivery Leads work with the Delivery Coordinator to receive a list of families to receive food.
They contact the families, by text or phone, to arrange for a day and time for the food to be delivered. They also coordinate with shoppers concerning any special items needed for individual families. Delivery Leads also coordinate with delivery drivers and Food For Others (for food pickup.)
- Shoppers - Coordinates with Delivery Leads to determine items needed, organize shopping dates/times, and make purchases of both food, and when needed gift cards. Shoppers also help identify specific grocery stores in the geographical location where deliveries will be made to match those with gift cards
- Sorting and Bagging Food - Collect grocery bags (paper and plastic) and boxes. Sort incoming donations. Pack Restaurant Depot-sized bags of beans and rice into smaller Ziploc bags. Coordinate with Delivery Leads to determine number of grocery bags to pack and family information for bag labeling. Label bags with family’s name, address and loose grocery items such as diapers.
- Fundraising/Communications - Provide regular status updates fo Fairfax Circle Church regarding number of deliveries and number of families fed. Explore partnerships with other organizations. Contact grocery stores and restaurants for possible food donations.